Pike County school board makes personnel action
The Pike County Board of Education held it last regular meeting of 2018 Monday night. Dr. Mark Bazzell, school superintendent, wished the system’s entire staff and all students a safe and happy holiday vacation and said he is looking forward to a successful 2019.
Bazzell told the board that Pike County Schools have eight academy program that provide students with opportunities to earn associate degrees. A Global Studies program is also available to the students in the Pike County Schools The system also offers short term certification programs to which enrollment is available to any student in the public school system in Pike County.
In new business, the board:
• Approved the request for Tyler Logan to attend the 72nd Annual Band and Orchestra Conference, December 18-22, 2018 in Chicago. There will be no cost to the Board.
•Approved (retroactive) the request for a Goshen High School Swim Team and sponsors to attend the Alabama High School Athletic Association State Swim Meet, November 30- December 1, 2018. Two students have qualifying times and were invited to compete. The sponsor also request that the parents be allowed to transport the swimmers to and from the meet. • Approved permission for Pike County High School to partner with Toni’s Touch, Inc. to have a Black History program in honor of the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, January 12, 2019, at the Cultural Arts Center at PCHS.
• Approved the request for Andrea Johnson, Lisa McVay, Tina Senn, Susan Rodgers, and Shastasha Carter to attend the Pre-K Conference, January 2-4, 2019 in Mobile. Expenses are to be paid with Pre-K Grant funding.
• Approved permission (retroactive) for Fred Holland, Doug Holland, and Joey Denison to attend the Super 7 Championship games December 5-7 in Auburn with expenses paid with local school funds.
In personnel action, the board:
• Accepted the resignation of Jasponica Florence, science teacher at Goshen High School.
•Accepted the resignation of Dr. Stephanie Flowers-Alexander, math teacher, Pike County Elementary School.
• Accepted the resignation of Kristin Booth, teacher, PCES.
• Accepted the resignation of Janelle Holmes, bus driver, effective December 19, 2018.
• Approved the employment of Kaitlyn Allen, science teacher, GHS.
• Approved the employment of Raven Crenshaw, kindergarten aide, GES.
• Approved the employment of Ashlynn Armstrong, fifth/sixth grade teacher at PCES.
• Approved the employment of Ma’Laka Goldsmith, fourth grade teacher at PCES, contingent on graduation.
• Approved volunteer status for Hannah Green, assistant soccer coach at GHS.
• Approved Josh Bailey as soccer coach, Pike County High School.